The most frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding eyelash extensions:
1. How are eyelash extensions applied?
Eyelash extensions are applied using a black colored formaldehyde-free medical-grade adhesive, that allows for a seamless look. Extensions are individually placed onto the natural lash either one-by-one for natural sets, or three to five fanned lashes for volume sets. Eyelash extensions come in different curls, lengths, and thicknesses, and curls. Each combination gives a different results that can vary from a natural and subtle appearance to a vivid and dramatic look.
2. How long does the procedure take?
Depending on the service requested, whether a natural set or a volume set of lash extensions, the initial procedure can take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. A touch-up usually takes between 60 to 75 minutes.
3. Are lash extensions harmful?
When applied correctly, eyelash extensions are safe! Eyelash extensions the are NOT applied correctly, can be harmful. Incorrectly applied extensions can glue multiple natural lashes together causing irritation, styes, and damage to the hair follicle. This can result in a permanent loss of lashes. There are also allergic reactions that can occur with adhesives containing formaldehyde. Example of incorrectly applied extensions:
4. Does it hurt?
Nope. The eyelash extensions are painless and most clients are so comfortable that they fall asleep during the procedure. The AfterLash uses quality products and strives to provide the highest level of comfort possible.
5. Do I need to make an appointment?
Yes. Appointments are required. The AfterLash cannot guarantee enough time for walk-in appointments. Please schedule an appointment and be sure to arrive on time to assure a quality lash session.
6. What do I need to do before and after my appointment?
Before your appointment, and in order for the lash extensions to bond properly, your eye lashes must be clean! Please arrive with no mascara, and no makeup, face cream, or eye cream on or around the eye area. After your lash extensions are applied, please keep extensions away from water, heat, and steam for a 24 hour period in order to allow the adhesive to bond properly. Showers, hair appointments, etc. should be planned before or after this time period. Avoid swimming, steam rooms, saunas, or extreme heat for a 48 hour period after application.
7. I wear contacts, may I wear them during the procedure?
The AfterLash recommends removing your contact lenses if you know your eyes to be on the drier side. Contact lenses can dry and irritate the eyes since your eyes must be kept closed during the entire application.
8. My eyelash extensions were applied at another salon. Can I still have them applied at The AfterLash?
Yes, but removal of your existing extensions is required. This avoids the mixing of different adhesives and/or different lashes. There are no exceptions. Please check The AfterLash POLICIES for more information.
9. How long to the lash extensions last? Eyelash extensions typically last between 2 1/2 to 5 weeks depending on a number of factors. How the eyelash extensions are cared for, weather, and the natural growth cycle of the lashes all play a part in how long the extensions will last.
10. What can I do to help make my lash extensions last longer? The most important care instruction to follow is keeping away from heat and steam for the first 24 hours, so that the adhesive is allowed to bond the extensions to natural lashes. Avoid swimming, steam rooms, saunas, or extreme heat for a 48 hour period after application. Also avoid a rubbing the eyes or tugging at the lashes. Do not use oil-based products on the eyelash extensions. Please refer to the LASH CARE section for more information.
11. Can I wear makeup/mascara on my extensions?
The AfterLash recommends not to use mascara since it is difficult to remove. The extensions will more than likely not last as long.
12. Can I use an eyelash curler to curl my lash extensions?
No, an eyelash curler can break the bond on your lash extensions and end up damaging your natural eyelashes.
13. Will I lose my own lashes?
As long as you avoid rubbing the eyes or pulling at the extensions you will not lose your own lashes. Please refer to the AFTERCARE instructions given at the salon, or the LASH CARE section for further information.
14. What is the length and thickness of the extensions that are used?
Lash extensions range from 6 mm to 15 mm in length, and from 0.06 mm to 0.20 mm in thickness.
15. What type of adhesive does The AfterLash use?
The AfterLash uses medical-grade adhesive made exclusively for professional eyelash extensions. The adhesive is formaldehyde-free, ethyl cyanoacrylate adhesive.
16. When should I get them retouched?
We recommend our clients return for touch-ups every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. Clients who prefer to maintain a very full look come in on a bi-weekly basis.
17. How are eyelash extensions removed?
It is best to schedule an appointment at The AfterLash to have your lash extensions professionally removed with a special detaching solvent. Attempting to remove the lash extensions yourself may cause damage to your natural lashes. If they are not removed, they will fall off naturally once a complete lash cycle occurs.